In order to obtain a Firearms Identification Card and/or Firearm, you must meet the eligibility requirements and comply with the Statutes which govern firearms purchases in the State of New Jersey. Additional firearms information is available at the New Jersey State Police Website www.nj.gov/gov/njsp/ or through reviewing the New Jersey Firearms Law: N. J. S. A. Title 13 Chapter 54.
All Firearms applications for residents of Manalapan Township are handled through the Police Department’s Firearms Licensing Unit staffed by the Firearms ID Officer: Lieutenant Lloyd Drucker (Ret.). The unit is within the police department’s Administration Division led by Captain Leonard Maltese. For questions regarding firearms applications please contact Lieutenant Lloyd Drucker, (Ret.) preferred by email at email@example.com >or you can phone the office at 732.446.8372 please note the office hours vary throughout the year.
NEW ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
** Read all of the instructions prior to clicking the link to the njportal **
The Manalapan Township Police Department now accepts online applications for Firearms Identification Cards and Handgun Purchaser Permits. Please visit the web site www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars and complete the online application.All Manalapan Township residents must enter the ORI number NJ0132600
If you are not a resident of Manalapan Township you must contact the NJ municipality where you reside to find out their application process.
1. Please make sure that you provide a current phone number on the online application. Cell phone numbers are usually the best form of communication and will be utilized for any application inquires.
2. If you have resided outside of New Jersey in the past 10 years, you will be contacted to complete an out of state mental health check request.
3. Check or Money Order written to Manalapan Township are the only forms of payment accepted. This check is to be dropped in the Firearms drop box located within the glass doors at the Municipal building. This should be done within a week after applying. Make sure the name of the applicant is on the check or money order. Applications will not be processed without payment. Initial ID Cards cost $5.00, and Handgun Permits cost $2.00 each. There is no charge for Duplicate cards (lost , mutilated and address change). All fees are non-refundable.
4. Use your proper name on the application no nicknames or abbreviation will be accepted.
5. You will receive automated e-mail updates throughout the process. The e-mail from the NJ Portal stating that your fingerprints have been processed does not mean the background is complete. Please do not contact us after you receive that e-mail.
6. If you incorrectly entered your references e-mail address write an e-mail to Fireamrsreg@manalapanpolice.org with the corrections.
7. Handgun permits and Firearms ID card will be mailed to you when ready.
Directions to request a 90 day extension on existing permits that have expired or are close to expired
1. Place the permit in an envelop marked Police Firearms
2: Leave a note within the envelop stating that you are requesting an extension (include your cell number)
3: Place the envelope in the red drop box located within the glass doors at the Manalapan Twp Municipal Building
4: If approved by the Chief of Police the permit will be mailed back to you
5: Once you receive the permit it will be valid for 180 days from the original issue date
Additional Helpful Firearms Identification Links:
New Jersey Firearms Laws
Frequently asked questions for firearms identifications
Firearms Information Forms to Download