In order to obtain a Firearms Identification Card and/or Firearm, you must meet the eligibility requirements and comply with the Statutes which govern firearms purchases in the State of New Jersey. Additional firearms information is available at the New Jersey State Police Website www.nj.gov/gov/njsp/ or through reviewing the New Jersey Firearms Law: N. J. S. A. Title 13 Chapter 54.
All Firearms applications for residents of Manalapan Township are handled through the Police Department’s Firearms Licensing Unit staffed by the Firearms ID Officer: Lieutenant Lloyd Drucker (Ret.). The unit is within the police department’s Administration Division led by Captain Leonard Maltese. For questions regarding firearms applications please contact Lieutenant Lloyd Drucker, (Ret.) preferred by email at firstname.lastname@example.org >or you can phone the office at 732.446.8372 please note the office hours vary throughout the year.
NEW ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
** Read all of the instructions prior to clicking the link to the njportal **
The Manalapan Township Police Department now accepts online applications for Firearms Identification Cards and Handgun Purchaser Permits. Please visit the web site www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars and complete the online application. All Manalapan Township residents must enter the ORI number NJ0132600
If you are not a resident of Manalapan Township you must contact the NJ municipality where you reside to find out their application process.
- Be aware that providing your Social Security number is voluntary, but if it is not provided the application process will take a longer period of time.
- When completing the application you will need to provide the e-mail address of two reputable references, as well as your own e-mail address.
- Please make sure that you provide a good phone number on the online application. Cell phone numbers are usually the best form of communication and will be utilized for any application inquires.
- If you have resided outside of New Jersey in the past 10 years, after completing the online application, you must come to the police department during the, “Open Hours” for firearms listed below.
- During the online application process you will either be prompted to the NJSP portal for 212A online check, or prompted to a form that is needed to get your fingerprints taken at an Identogo office. If prompted to an Identogo office, go on their website provided on the top of the form and follow their instructions to get fingerprinted at one of the locations provided on the Identogo site. YOU MUST BRING THE FINGERPRINT FORM WITH YOU. Both 212A and Identogo require an online credit card payment. If all steps are not completed within 90 days the application will be purged from the system.
- Take note of your confirmation number found on your online application. This number is very important for tracking purposes.
- Check or Money Order written to Manalapan Township are the only forms of payment accepted. This will be collected upon permit/ID card pick-up. Write the confirmation number from your online application on the check or Money Order. Initial ID Cards cost $5.00, and Handgun Permits cost $2.00 each. Duplicate ID Cards, which are all but initial cards, are free.
- You will receive automated e-mail updates throughout the process.
- YOU WILL RECEIVE AN E-MAIL WHEN YOUR PERMITS/FID CARD ARE READY TO BE PICKED UP. PICK-UP WILL BE DURING THE BELOW LISTED FIREARMS ID OFFICER OPEN HOURS ONLY. PROPER IDENTIFICATION TO INCLUDE PROOF OF RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF PICK-UP. BRING A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER (NO CASH). THE COST IS $2.00 EACH PERMIT AND $5.00 INITIAL ID CARD (DUPLICATE ID CARDS ARE FREE)
All applications are to be completed online. Follow the directions written above. Please have patience as there has been a significant increase in the number of firearms applications.
New procedures to obtain your Firearms Permits during the Covid-19 pandemic
You will be notified when your permits are ready to be picked up.
Once you receive this notification, and if you would like to obtain your permits/ID Card, place a check or Money order written to Manalapan Twp. in an envelope with POLICE FIREARMS written on it, in the red drop box located within the glass doors of the Manalapan Twp Municipal Building (do not put the envelope in the red box outside of the building intended for flags). The cost is $2.00 for every permit you requested, and $5.00 for an initial Firearms ID card. The items then will be sent to you via USPS.
Please be advised that the permits will be good for 90 days once you receive them. After that they are no longer valid as is. If you choose not to pick-up your permits/ID card at this time they will be held until such time that we can return to normal procedures. If you choose to wait the 90 days will begin when you pick-them up. Please stay safe during this crazy time.
Directions to request a 90 day extension on existing permits that have expired or are close to expired
1. Place the permit in an envelop marked Police Firearms
2: Leave a note within the envelop stating that you are requesting an extension (include your cell number)
3: Place the envelope in the red drop box located within the glass doors at the Manalapan Twp Municipal Building
4: If approved by the Chief of Police the permit will be mailed back to you
5: Once you receive the permit it will be valid for 180 days from the original issue date
Additional Helpful Firearms Identification Links:
New Jersey Firearms Laws
Frequently asked questions for firearms identifications
Firearms Information Forms to Download